Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Libertarian Austrians



Or is it Austrian libertarians?

Several weeks ago I was putting together a post on various topics.  After I had a good draft, I decided not to publish it – most of it was just me whining.  One section I found worthwhile, and turned it into a post about culture and why culture matters to some libertarians.

This is a post about another section: the intersection of libertarian theory and Austrian economics, and why those drawn to one are so regularly drawn to the other.  I suspect this road has been travelled before; I only will offer a modified version of what I concluded.

What kind of libertarian are you?

One who believes the non-aggression principle grounded in private property. 

While I’m at it, let’s cover the Austrian ground

I think more so than Austrian, I would describe my economics as free-market.  Of course, the Austrian School comes infinitely closer to this ideal than any other school of economic thought (of which, frankly, there is only one other school of economic thought – some form of central planning and interventionism).

How would I define free market economics?  The non-aggression principle grounded in private property.  Funny how that works.

Conclusion

The non-aggression principle grounded in private property – I cannot think of a much better definition for each of libertarian theory and Austrian economics.

4 comments:

  1. "Funny how that works"

    Thus does capitalism mean anarchy, and vice versa, and anarcho-capitalism is a redundant term. They are one and the same principal, justice, in two different contexts.

    Igor Karbinovskiy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked Robert Wenzel this question on my radio program a few months back, and he had a very good answer to it as well I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bm:"Of course, the Austrian School comes infinitely closer to this ideal than any other school of economic thought (of which, frankly, there is only one other school of economic thought – some form of central planning and interventionism)."

    Something about this article has been bugging me since I first read it. After some reflection, I do not believe that you stated anything explicitly with which I take issue.

    I’ll be pithy. The Austrian School of economics is not defined by its conclusions, but rather by its methodology. In this regard, its methodology really has nothing at all to do with libertarianism.

    I do not believe that you *defined* Austrian economics as “free-market” in your article, but rather I guess that a naive reader might think you did, or at least he might find it to be implied.

    Given that most people prefer peace and prosperity to the alternatives, the conclusions reached by Austrian methods do indeed dovetail nicely with libertarian preferred outcomes. That each school reached its conclusions by differing methodologies might be seen as a strengthening case for those conclusions.

    It seems it is always the little things with me.

    dpong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gpond

      In this, I am no student or puritan. In the end, conclusions reached via Austrian methodology are quite often free-market.

      And when I define free market, it is the same definition (more or less) that I could use for the term "libertarian."

      Nothing more - but then, this is why I will never be asked to teach a course at LvMI (well, this and the fact that bionic doesn't want to show his face)!

      Delete