Thursday, September 5, 2024

Nominalism vs. Realism

I have come across a new podcast, The Nathan Jacobs Podcast (also on YouTube here).  For those of you who have followed (and remain interested in) the discussion here regarding objective truth, natural law, the Enlightenment, the limits of man’s reason without some higher, controlling metaphysic, I think this podcast might be right down your alley.

Some backstory: while I had heard of, and listened to, Jacobs in the past, it was this recent discussion between him and Jonathan Pageau that caught my attention: Embrace Realism: It's All Mystical!  From the video description:

Dr. Nathan Jacobs is an academic, artist, and filmmaker. In this conversation we discuss where reason, rationality, and discernment fit into the mystical experience and how the modern world has mistakenly divorced reason and mysticism.

Take a look at Jacobs’ personal website: the description of him as an academic, artist, and filmmaker, is no exaggeration or overstatement.

Although beginning in Protestant (I think Reformed) Christianity, he found aspects of this lacking in terms of explaining / understanding God, God’s actions, etc.  He has since converted to Eastern Orthodoxy.  What is interesting about this, at least to me: he embraces the role that Plato and Aristotle have played in the development of the understanding of God.  He also speaks positively of the idea of a natural law ethic.

Why do I find this interesting?  I see both embrace of this and pushback on this from Orthodox Christians.  Especially pushback on the idea of natural law (with one glaring and wonderful exception, which I have written about here).

I am about four podcasts in (out of fourteen at the time of this writing).  They appear to come out about once a week, and almost all are between 1-2 hours long.

Why the title to my post?  In his first podcast, Jacobs describes the question of nominalism vs. realism as the single most important question in our time!

2 comments:

  1. Plato was the first realist, right? I think I agree with it way more than nominalism or idealism. It describes our experience best and avoids lots of silly ideas.


    https://thecrosssectionrmb.blogspot.com/2024/09/christians-nations-and-their-relations.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bionic,

    I might be interested, but I rarely watch podcasts or videos. I am constantly getting links to various ones and almost never click on.

    The reason? My time is very limited and I find I can get much more out of a twelve minute read than I can out of a forty-five minute view. Much of what is shown on video is fluff and stuff. I don't have the time for that.

    This is part of the reason why I tune in to your blog (Substack). I can trust you to watch these and condense it down for me, without having to worry about your biases or how your opinions will impact my understanding.

    Carry on! We're making progress.

    ReplyDelete