Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The Goodness of Humanity



“I honestly thought I was going to lose my family that day,” Roberta Ursrey said. “It was like, ‘Oh God, this is how I’m going.’ ”

The children went for a swim, got caught in a riptide.  The parents went after the children.  They were all going to drown.

“These people are not drowning today,” [Jessica] Simmons remembered telling herself. “It’s not happening. We’re going to get them out.”

She and her husband organized a human chain; eighty people; one-hundred yards into the water; swimmers and non-swimmers alike.  You have to see the video.

“I got to the end, and I know I’m a really good swimmer,” Simmons said. “I practically lived in a pool. I knew I could get out there and get to them.”

The first responders.  People without badges are always the first responders.  And they don’t come with lifetime pensions paying more than what you make.

“It was the most remarkable thing to see,” Simmons said. “These people who don’t even know each other and they trust each other that much to get them to safety.”

The family understands fully what occurred:

“I am so grateful,” [Roberta] Ursrey said. “These people were God’s angels that were in the right place at the right time. I owe my life and my family’s life to them. Without them, we wouldn’t be here.”

Just something good to remember.

8 comments:

  1. If people would just relax, take deep breaths and try swiming against the current but swim perpendicular to it. Panicking is the worst thing to do.
    That line was something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normal folks are inherently good. The Loma Prieta earthquake in '89 disabled just about all gummint infrastructure for months. Guess what? We all acted to the benefit of the community, the unfortunate were helped, neighbors banded together, and we enjoyed this heightened sense of community 'til the gummint got going again and f#$%ked it all up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you left out the best part of the story. Local accounts (I live nearby) have the police trying to STOP the rescue and threading arrest,really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know about the police attempts at stopping the rescue.
      Do you have a link handy about those accounts?

      Delete
  4. I like the goodness of Lee Rockwell: putting a North article and this article adjacent to each other on his web page today! I think he wants us all to get along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I thought the same thing. Police and Firemen are the second responders, often just late enough that the only thing left to do is cover the bodies and write the report. We are all the true "First Responders" when a crisis hits.

    ReplyDelete