Katy bar the door: take precautions; there's trouble ahead.
I will limit my comments on the Supreme Court decision regarding Obamacare to this one statement by Chief Justice Roberts, in writing the majority opinion:
In this case, however, it is reasonable to construe what Congress has done as increasing taxes on those who have a certain amount of income, but choose to go without health insurance. Such legislation is within Congress's power to tax.
In place of the words “go without health insurance,” insert any of the following:
- Go without public education
- Go without joining the military, Peace Corp, or other approved community service
- Avoid paying state income tax
- Own a firearm
- Buy a car delivering less than 40 miles-per-gallon / buy a car with an internal combustion engine
- Hold assets overseas
- Hold non-US Dollar denominated assets
- Buy precious metals
- Have more than two children
- Live in more than 1500 square feet
- Own more than one home
- Eat red meat
- Avoid taking statins
- Avoid annual physical exams
I am sure there are hundreds more. I have limited my universe to items that fall into areas that could easily be targeted as having a so-called “societal benefit,” in other words, where the dialogue already makes it easy for the government to assert a so-called "national benefit." Even here, I am sure there are dozens more.